KABUL: Donald Trump said he has postponed a planned military strike on Iran for several days at the request of a number of regional countries, amid ongoing diplomatic efforts to reach an agreement with Tehran.
According to Fox News, Trump told reporters Monday night that the delay would last “two to three days.”
The U.S. president said Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, and several other countries had urged Washington to postpone the attack, arguing that negotiations with Iran were close to producing a deal.
“If we can reach an agreement where Iran does not obtain a nuclear weapon, and they are satisfied, then we will probably be satisfied as well,” Trump said.
He added that the United States had been prepared to launch “a very large attack” on Tuesday but decided to delay the operation to allow more time for talks.
Trump expressed hope that the temporary postponement could become permanent, saying Washington had held “very important discussions” with Tehran and was waiting to see the outcome.
His remarks came a day after Iranian state media reported that Tehran had submitted its “most serious proposal” to Washington in a 14-point document delivered through Pakistani mediators.


