KABUL: Five people were killed after two armed teenagers opened fire at one of the largest Islamic centers in the U.S. state of California, authorities said Tuesday.
According to Reuters, the attack targeted the Islamic Center of San Diego in San Diego, where at least three people, including a security guard, were killed outside the mosque building and the bodies of the two teenage attackers were also found at the scene after they apparently died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
Scott Wahl, the police in charge of San Diego said all students from the school affiliated with the Islamic center were safely evacuated.
He added that agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) had been called to assist in the investigation.
Authorities said the shooting would be investigated as a possible hate crime, although the motive behind the attack remains unclear.
“We have never experienced such a tragedy before. Targeting a place of worship is truly shocking and unacceptable,” said Taha Hassani head and Imam of the center.
The Islamic Center of San Diego is considered the largest Islamic center in the region near the California-Mexico border.


